Thanks to the evolution of eye make-up and color cosmetics, we have quick, easy and safe ways to make our eyes stand out and be noticed. Eye cosmetics like kohl and other eyeliners and eye shadows can be tracked back to the Egyptian and Mesopotamian civilizations about 10,000 years before Christ. In eastern traditions, eye make-up has been a staple feature down the ages.
In today’s world, one is really pampered for choice with regard to eye makeup products. You can choose not only from a wide variety of brands, but also from a huge range of colors and forms. There are sober blacks and browns and there are the exotic silvers and reds. You can choose between the soft kohls and eyeliner pencils or the liquids and the thicker cream eyeliners.
Two gifts for my readers in this post. First - a step by step guide on how to apply eyeliner. Second - a small giveaway for my readers. Read on for details.
A beautifully done eye can create magic, but a poorly made-up eye can be a total turn off. Here are a few simple steps that you can follow to get the perfect look for your eyes. And yes, there is a free eyeliner giveaway worth Rs 329 for readers who are interested in setting up their own beauty consultancy. See below for details.
1. Sit close to your mirror. Balance your head by placing your chin on the palm of your non-dominant hand.
2. Close the left eye.
3. Pull the left eyelid outward and upward using the fingers of your non-dominant hand.
4. Start applying eyeliner from the inner corner of the upper eyelid, following the lash line. Aim for a smooth and even motion, and avoid repeating the line unless you want to thicken it. Continue till the outer corner of your eyelid (or past it, if that is the contour you want). For cat eyes or the Amy Winehouse look, you will want to extend it past the outer corner.
5. Check for evenness, and if you want varying thickness for the line, repeat accordingly till you have got the look you want.
6. Now pull the lower left eyelid down and out with your fingers.
7. Start at the outer corner and apply eyeliner inwards along the lash line. Once again, keep it smooth and even, and repeat if you want a particular effect.
8. Remove any excess eyeliner with a cotton swab and moisturizer or make-up remover.
9. Repeat for the other eye.
10. The trick is to make it look as subtle or natural as possible (unless you are aiming for the deliberately made-up, perhaps outrageous, look) where people will not attribute your beautiful appearance to your eye make-up but to the person behind it.
You may also want to look up my Top 10 Tips for Applying Eyeliner.
*****Contact me for recommendations on eyeliners, eye shadows, mascaras, curlers, eyebrow brushes, eye shadow brushes, blending brushes, and eye makeup removers. Special offer for the month of May 2012, a small giveaway of an eyeliner worth Rs 329 for those interested in setting up their own beauty consultancy. Free training provided. Contact me at 09177554416 or email email@example.com for an appointment.